Lyme Disease Symptoms

Got A Question? (comments are moderated & won't immediately appear)

The first symptom of Lyme disease (also called Lyme’s disease) for about 50% of people is a small, red bull’s-eye rash, called erythema migrans, at the site of an infected tick bite. The rash usually appears a week or two after a painless bite, but can appear within 3 to 30 days. It typically spreads or may show up in other areas. It can also not look like a bull’s eye. And if the tick rash is very small and in a hairy place, it may never be noticed.

Other early, acute symptoms are flu-like – fatigue, achy muscles or joints, fever, chills, stiff neck, swollen glands, and a headache. Most doctors base their diagnosis of early Lyme primarily on the rash and accompanying symptoms. There are blood tests, many of which return erroneous results. We’ll have more to say about testing soon.

If Lyme is identified in this early stage and treated with an appropriate course of antibiotics, it usually goes away. Treatment, however, doesn’t provide immunity; you can get the disease again if another infected tick bites you. There is no vaccine.

It would be great if Lyme got caught early and treated in everyone who has it. But it’s a very tricky illness.

Some people with classic early symptoms never get treated because they either don’t go to their doctor or their doctor doesn’t suspect it. Some doctors do diagnose it but don’t treat it long enough. And some infected people never get any early symptoms.

Lyme is often hard to diagnose because many symptoms are non-specific (stiff neck, fever, tingling and numbness, headache, lack of energy, weakness, moodiness, or achiness). Also, many doctors don’t know much about the disease or don’t believe that it’s a prevalent illness, especially in areas that aren’t known to be habitats for the Ixodes ticks that carry it.

Without treatment, the illness eventually becomes more debilitating.

Untreated, the bacteria can lie dormant and appear months or even years later. Chronic Lyme mimics the symptoms of over 350 diseases, including multiple sclerosis, lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Parkinson’s. Sadly, many people with chronic, late-stage Lyme spend years and substantial sums of money being treated for other diseases before finally learning that they have it.

Chronic Symptoms

Most people chronically ill with Lyme have a combination of symptoms, compounded by the symptoms of other co-infections they may have. No two patients have exactly the same complaints.

The spirochetes travel from the site of the bite to anywhere in the body via the skin, lymph system, and blood. They can ultimately cause problems in all body systems.

Credit: Michael Abbey/Photo Researchers, Inc. - Borrelia burgdorferi bacterium in a blood smear

Credit: Michael Abbey/ Photo Researchers, Inc. - Borrelia burgdorferi bacterium in a blood smear

Here’s a plain-English list of common symptoms:

Brain and Central Nervous System: migraines, dizziness, brain fog, poor memory, poor sleep, lack of verbal fluency, confusion or disorientation, decreased ability to concentrate, facial nerve tics or paralysis, sore jaw, sinusitis, mood swings, difficulty chewing or swallowing, sore throat, hoarseness, muscle twitches, numbness and tingling, shooting pains, and lower back or neck pain. Lyme has also been found to mimic all the psychiatric disorders.

Muscles, joints, and bones: pains that come and go (with or without swelling), cramps, stiffness.

Circulation: too fast or two slow heart rate, irregular heartbeat (palpitations), inflammation of the heart muscle or arteries, and chest pain.

Breathing: sinusitis, difficulty breathing, and pneumonias.

Skin: rashes, itching, crawling sensations, benign cysts and nodules, and skin discoloration.

Eyes: pain, inflammation, blurred or double vision, retinal damage, floaters, flashing lights, light sensitivity, dry eye, and blindness.

Ears: itching, earache, buzzing, ringing, and sound sensitivity.

Digestive tract: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, mild liver function abnormalities, and spleen tenderness and enlargement.

Genitourinary tract: inflammation of the urethra and bladder, pelvic pain, testicular pain, and loss of sexual desire.

General: tiredness, lack of stamina, fever, vague discomfort, irritability, nervousness or anxiety, and weight loss or gain.

Borrelia is a brilliant bacterium that can avoid detection by the body’s immune system by changing shape, becoming cell-wall deficient (living inside red blood cells) or encysting over with albumin, which antibiotics can’t reach, and hiding out in a dormant state in hard to reach places like the spaces between ligaments and bones.

If you suspect your or someone you know has Lyme, you should find a doctor who knows how to diagnose it correctly and treat it adequately if you have it.  The earlier you get treatment, the better.

Lyme is not just another little infection that goes away in a week or two; people have died from it.

©2010-2011 LymeDiseaseBlog.com. All rights reserved. You may send this to your friends and family, but please do not republish it in any form, electronic or mechanical, without written permission from us.

Share and Enjoy!

This post was written by:

- who has written 22 posts on Lyme Disease Blog.

Contact the author

4,171 Responses to “Lyme Disease Symptoms”

1 38 39 40 41 42 64
  1. Frank Says:

I forgot to mention a light headed feeling and sometimes when im looking straight i have see like some kind of dark shadows on the sides of my view..any info would be great thanks.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Eye floaters are common with Lyme, as is dizziness and lightheadedness. See a doctor and get tested for Lyme if you think you might have it.

2. Frank Says:

I feel tingly on parts of my body including face and tiredness on the bottom of eyes,my body feels in a mix of strong and weak,my throat feels a little squeeze but not to much.also my neck feels tight like pulling and i feel a numb spot on my back under my left shoulder the size of a snickers bar,when i walk my legs feel stiff and kinda weak like if my knees want to bend but dont,also theres some sort of pressure in the middle of mu chest and feels like the heart has a slight pain on it and i can feel it more when i inhale or exhale deep,and i have small pains that come and go on my toes,finger,and different parts my bone structure.just wondering if this sounds like lyme disease or something else?

• Pam Dodd Says:

I couldn’t say what you’ve got, Frank, because I’m not a doctor and your symptoms are too vague to guess. Have you been anywhere there are ticks? Do you remember a tick bite? If you’re concerned about Lyme, you should see a doctor and be tested for it. The best Lyme tests are by IGeneX and MDL. Thanks for asking.

3. Jennifer Says:

Hi, my mother in law was dx with FTD (Frontotemporal Dementia) last April after years of banging heads and doors. We’re convinced it is the FTD, however a family member keeps bringing up Lyme Disease. They do have some similar symptoms so she want’s to get tested for Lyme just to rule it out. Grasping I’m sure.
    A. Is there a general test that can be done, she has Medicare and a good supplemental insurance.
    B. Is this something that her GP could do?
    C. Have you ever heard of FTD being mistaken for Lyme or Lyme for FTD?

If anyone is interested, FTD strikes much younger people and is not alzheimer’s. There is a wonderful site http://ftdsupportforum.com/ that gives more detail.

Thanks for any help or direction!

• Pam Dodd Says:

Jennifer, I know nothing about FTD. If your mother-in-law has other symptoms of Lyme, it might be worth getting her tested. Unfortunately, though, you can’t rule it out as the tests aren’t 100% reliable. Many tend to report false negatives, meaning they say you don’t have Lyme when you do. The best tests are by IGeneX and MDL. Her GP could order them, but then he or she would have to know how to interpret them correctly, not an easy job for physicians who know little or nothing about Lyme. I can send you info on how to find a Lyme doctor near you if you tell me where you (or your mother-in-law) live.Thanks for asking, and for the FTD link.

4. Dave Says:

I have been having muscle stiffness, tingling in my hands and feet for awhile (3 years), issues with vision, rashes, and my doctor has been telling me it is stress. I do alot of hiking and out door activities and concerned that the doctor maybe over looking lyme disease as a potential cause. I live in MA in the Boston area. Could you send me information on a lyme disease specialist in my area and types of testing available?

5. Nancy Says:

Submitted request for doctor info to this forum about a month ago. Due to no insurnace, decided to see my primary care physician. He gave me Doxy for thirty days – had so many classical symptoms, evidence of bites, etc. Had a Herx reaction several days after starting Doxy – had another one about three weeks in. Third day off antibiotics – symptoms still waxing and waning. Doctor ordered Elisa test last week – waiting results – have read so much about years of struggling to obtain positive diagnosis. Open to any advice about perseverance in obtaining positive diagnosis – just in case the Elisa is a negative. Thanks….

• Pam Dodd Says:

Nancy, if you qualify financially, you can get a free Lyme test through http://www.lymetap.com. Ideally, you should be tested through IGeneX or MDL. Even with a positive ELISA, I’m not sure how much help your PCP will be if he doesn’t know much about Lyme. If he won’t prescribe more antibiotics if your Lyme test is negative, you’re stuck. Thirty days of Doxycycline doesn’t usually get rid of Lyme. You also should be tested for the Lyme co-infections Babesia, Bartonella, and Ehrlichia. Most people with Lyme have one or more of them too, and they need to be treated. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but such is Lyme.

6. Chris R. Says:

Hello,
    I recently heard about a Lyme test called Igenix. Someone recommended I ask for this test because it can be more reliable. When I asked my primary about it, he told me that Igenix was under investigation. Is this true or another political obstacle that people have to face?

• Pam Dodd Says:

IGeneX was investigated and cleared n 2005, Chris. Search on “igenex investigation” to learn the details. In my opinion, doubts about IGenex as a valuable Lyme tool is another political obstacle. Many of us have finally gotten our Lyme diagnoses through IGeneX testing. Note, however, that no Lyme test is 100% reliable. Thanks for asking.

7. Laurie W Says:

HI…..In July 2009 I was diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis and had a terrible reaction to doxycycline….now my Dr. just confirmed I have Lyme disease…ugh…..I have been in CT during this time….what are the other viable treatments and are the do related? Who are the specialist in CT?

Thanks Much, Laurie

• Pam Dodd Says:

Laure, your “terrible” reaction to Doxycycline might have been a Herxheimer reaction, common with Lyme. Your doctor should have known this. There are other antibiotics for Lyme besides Doxy, although Doxy is the drug of choice for Ehrlichia. I’m sending you CT Lyme info so you can find a Lyme specialist. Thanks for asking.

8. Robert Says:

Hi. Do you have a recommendation for Colorado, Denver area? I fit a lot of the criteria and have been through years of different testing, most recent diagnoses was Addison’s disease, though that has resolved but most of my symptoms have not. Currently most bothersome issue is severe joint pain, though I tested negative for arthritis. I don’t really buy the idea that depression is causing this, I believe it is a symptom. Thank you.

9. MImi Says:

Hi. My husband became ill suddenly with flu-like symptoms 3 1/2 weeks ago. After not getting better after a week and having worsening respitory and flu syptoms he got a dx of bronchitis. He was put on Azithromycin for 5 days and an inhaled steroid. 2 days later he started having extreme joint pain and swelling and a worsening of symptoms. He stopped the steroids after 3-4 days because of gut feeling they were doing more harm than good. Then it was like his whole body started to shut down- low body temp, low blood pressure, extreme tiredness, etc. He also started with some mild cognitive issues and personality changes. He went back to his GP and was dx Lyme. He was put on oral Doxy but only 100mg every 12 hrs. About 2 days later he started with the rash, not a bullseye but does look like EM. He also started having pungent smelling drenching night sweats. He has continued to get worse 9 days after starting treatment with severe swelling in his feet, pain and burning in the rash which is now all over his legs, severe body temp flucuations (from below normal to low grade temp),etc. He has a very weird and terrible cough, pain in his chest and ribs, sometimes heart pain, extreme fatigue, headaches,etc. We went back to the GP and she called in the infectious disease specialist who doesn’t think there are any coinfections (I was thinking Babesiosis)and thinks it is some other infectious disease (they are testing for Legionella) or an autoimmune disease. They kept him on the same doxy and his check-out papers say to stay on the steroids. I think he has Lyme, at least 1 coinfection, and is possibly having a Herx reaction. I think we need a LLMD specialist. I’m doubting that he will get the right treatment without one and we are getting desperate. Any advice or LLMD referrals (we are in the Boston, MA area). Thanks!

• Pam Dodd Says:

I agree with your assessment, Mimi. Steroids make Lyme worse. I’m sending MA Lyme info so you can find a Lyme specialist. Get your husband seen as soon as possible. Two tips: If the doctor can’t see your husband for a few weeks or months, ask to be put on the cancellation list. You should get in sooner. You could also get your GP’s office to call for the appointment, which will most likely get a quicker appointment. Thanks for asking.

10. Chris R. Says:

Hello,
    I have not been feeling well for the last 7-8 months. It began with a general ill feeling, then proceeded to a numbness/tingling in my legs that eventually moved to my arms and face as well. I have lost about 20 pounds, have terrible headaches, and pain in and around my eyes. I have been tested for Lyme’s twice but it came back negative. I have also had extensive bloodwork done, MRI’s, and CT’s and everything has come back negative. What are your thoughts and is there anyone in the Southeastern part of MA that you would recommend I speak with? Thank you.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Chris, I’m sending you MA Lyme info. You should check out your symptoms with a Lyme specialist. You probably know that Lyme tests are unreliable. The CDC ELISA & Western Blot are famous for returning false negatives. Thanks for asking.

11. 21gardens Says:

Where do I find a Doctor that knows about Lyme disease? I live in Central NY. I need either treatment or the ruling out of Lyme disease. My symptoms fit the initial symptoms. I have been told, by the ER doctor I saw while on vacation, my bull’s eye rash could not be lymes because of the insect that caused the bite. However this same type of insect has bit me before and not caused the classic bull’s eye. The insect, in our experience, does not bite unless it is trapped in the water of our pool. We do live with Lyme carrying ticks where we live. And EEE [Eastern Equine Encephalitis] has become a new issue here. Two years ago I received a blood transfusion. September 4th I was bit and by the 9th I had a red circle around a red bite. It was a perfect circle which is different than the pictures I have seen. I got my flu shot on the 23rd of September. So many overlaps to sort out myself. Any suggestions?

• Pam Dodd Says:

I’d sort out your issues with a Lyme specialist, 21. You can get Lyme and other so-called tick-borne illnesses from other biting insect besides ticks (mosquitoes, flies, and fleas, for example). I’m sending you NY Lyme info. Thanks for asking.

• 21gardens Says:

Additional Information – “All” of the initial symptoms are now present, not just the bull’s eye. That is “Other early acute symptoms are flu-like…” came on starting around the 29th of September. I feel fever-like at different times of the day but have not actually ran a fever. Thanks

• Pam Dodd Says:

Sounds like Lyme and/or one or more of the other common co-infections that come with it (Babesia, Bartonella, and Ehrlichia). Or it might be another vector-borne illness. Check it out with someone who knows this crazy world of infections, and not necessarily an infectious disease doctor. Many of them don’t believe in chronic Lyme and won’t prescribe long-term antibiotics.

12. paul Says:

doctor wants to treat me for rabies but for a couple weeks ive been iching were my gerbil bit me on my hand. now its been getting worse over about 5 days. my face has been twitching, my hands shaking, tummy pain, head feels swollen, been real agitated, quick tempered, head aches, numbness where I got bit, back pain at times, feel body heat at times. Im in silverton, OR. thank you.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Paul, I’d follow your doctor’s advice. If your symptoms came on after the gerbil bite, it’s not likely Lyme. I’ll send you OR Lyme info just in case, but it sounds like you’ve got an infection from the gerbil. They don’t carry Lyme. Thanks for commenting.

13. jennc Says:

Ive had this bullseye looking rash that also looks swollen since june. It’s getting bigger and bigger. I’ve seen 4 different doctors including a dermatologist, twice. I’ve had 3 different diagnoses, last one being eczema (by the derma). I’ve just realized since then I’ve been having weakness, tiredness, 2 sinus headaches, earaches, numbing/ tingling in ny hands and feet and i noticed i’m not fully alert and feeling spacey. I saw maybe perhaps i have lyme disease.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Maybe you do have Lyme disease, Jenn. If you want to see a Lyme specialist, tell me where you live and I’ll send you info on how to find one. Thanks for commenting.

• rob Says:

can just neck pain be a sign of lyme disease i have no other symptoms and neck pain and stiffness for about 6 months

• Pam Dodd Says:

Rob: Just neck pain and stiffness for 6 months would be an unusual presentation for Lyme. Then again, neck pain is one of the most common symptoms of Lyme, although usually with other things. Thanks for asking.

• Beth P Says:

I live in columbus Ga, I have been diagnosed with lyme disease by my neurologist just this past june, however I have been fighting this for ten months now. my doctor put my on doxycycline for two weeks and ceftin for 2 weeks, I started to feel better but i have severe pressure in my head and dizzyness. have had an MRI and CT scans but everything is normal. Just within the last week all my old symptoms are coming back. I also suffer from numbness in my face, tongue, my feet and hand get real tingly, joint pain, flu like spmptoms, blurred vision. The list just goes on and on.
        Nobody here seems to know how to treat this. can someone please help

• Pam Dodd Says:

Beth, I’m sending you GA and AL Lyme info since you live near the state line. I recommend finding a Lyme specialist who knows how to treat the disease. Thanks for asking.

• Donn J Says:

I was bit 4weeks ago and have stiff neck and back pain.No bulls eye or rash also flu like symptoms.I live on the coast of California 15 miles from Oregon can you give me a doctors name. Thanks Donn

• Pam Dodd Says:

CA/OR Lyme info is on its way, Donn. Thanks for asking.

14. Mike Says:

Live in the Boston area. My wife thinks I should get checked for Lyme disease. I get frequent headaches and kidney pain. Recently, I have been battling a low grade fever, severe headache, bad fatigue, and joint pain for about five days now.

15. Combs Says:

I went to the deer wood over a week ago and now I have several of these symptoms of Lyme Desease, can you get the Doctor recomment at Little Rock, AR area.

Thanks,

• Pam Dodd Says:

AR Lyme info is on its way, Combs. Thanks for asking.

• phil Says:

I’ve been dealing with different symptoms for years now. The last 6 months have been very difficult to do anything. Especially the last few months. I have most of the lymes symptoms but was tested once while in the ER and the test came back negative (not sure what test they did). I am going to get another test done but was wondering if I should go to the doctor and simply get another test or see a specialist. I live near minneapolis in MN and was wondering if there is anyplace close by,
      thank you!

• phil Says:

I just realized I posted a reply to this thread above me, Sorry for any confusion

• Pam Dodd Says:

Not to worry, Phil. I’ll take your requests and comments any way they come. :-)

• Pam Dodd Says:

Phil, I’m sending you MN Lyme info. Given your past history, you should probably see a Lyme specialist. They’ll know what tests to do. Thanks for asking.

16. Jay L Says:

A close friend has been experiencing serious muscle tremors, muscle weakness, and other mystery symptoms which have been worsening for some time. He has had many tests including an MRI but no diagnosis to date. He has had much exposure to ticks and feels that chronic Lyme is worth considering. His doctor is not open to that possibility because of a Lyme test negative. Can anyone recommend a Lyme specialist in Connecticut? It appears most Ct doctors are afraid to get involved with the subject of Chronic Lime disease.

Thanks much, Jay

• Pam Dodd Says:

I’m sending CT Lyme info, Jay. Your friend has more options than he (and you) may realize. Thanks for asking.

17. becky Says:

My husband has been very ill with varying symptoms for 6 weeks. Started with testicular pain a couple of weeks prior to him getting very ill with flu like symptoms in the middle of August. No dx was made…docs perplexed…thought had meningitis but spinal tap ruled that out. He gradually started getting better but never completely only to have another round of illness 2-3 weeks later. Symptoms a bit different but very ill. Had MRI to rule out sinus infection pressing on brain…which it did….MRI clean. Again no dx. All blood work comes back fine. People are noticing a change in his demeanor and he is very edgy, very tired/fatigued, and now has general shoulder/neck deep pain. His skin also comes and goes with sensitivity….extreme. I am worried he has Lymes. We traveled to Wisconsin and Minnesota late June. We are from that area and are aware of the high prevalence of Lyme’s disease; however, we now live in Texas. I need to find a doc in the DFW area that is well adversed in Lyme’s diagnosing and treatment. Thank you for any help!

• Pam Dodd Says:

DFW Lyme info is on its way, Becky. Sorry your husband is having such a time of it. Lyme is cyclical, so the symptoms you list sound typical. Thanks for asking.

18. Judy S Says:

My husband has been having pains in his legs. I am suspecting Lyme. Could you please send me some names of doctors in New Hampshire who specialize in this disease. Thank you for your help!

19. Michelle Says:

I have been on a “Doctor Mission” for the last 9 months attempting to help me solve (mainly) pain issues, but also insomnia, migraines, “helium head”, digestive issues and unexplained weight loss, irritability and depressed mood (go figure, I have been sick for almost a year…). I am finally wondering what else this could be since all the tests have been “you are fine” (yet I feel like I am dying). Any help in northern Arizona or Arizona? Please and thanks. I also want to say thank you for what it appears you are diligently doing for people here.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Thanks for the kind words, Michelle. Those of us who have Lyme know it can be hell. Any help we can give others to find competent diagnosis and treatment quickly is important. I’m sending AZ Lyme info. Thanks for asking.

20. Romina Says:

I have been having symptoms for 3 months and didn’t really think much of them until it hit me all together on how heavy I felt, I am looking for a lyme specialist in NY and will be seeing an infectious disease doctor tomorrow. Hope it goes well, I am well informed and know what needs to be done, hopefully with more than 3 weeks of antibiotics will be given. thanks.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Romina, where are you in NY so I can send targeted info? FYI – many infectious disease specialists follow the IDSA guidelines for Lyme, which is 2 weeks of antibiotics and no such thing as chronic Lyme. Thanks for asking.

21. Nisha Says:

I have been having problems with numbness and tingling in my fingers. Spots before my eyes. And heart palpitations I went to the emergency room they did blood work and gave me a cat scan. They was looking for stroke signs. My question is should I go for further blood work or does the emergency room look for everything when they give you blood work.

• Pam Dodd Says:

ERs usually have typical tests they do. Lyme isn’t usually one of them unless they suspect it. If you think you might have Lyme disease, I’d suggest seeing a Lyme specialist. Otherwise you could spend a lot of time, energy, and money looking for other things. If you tell me where you live, I’ll send you info on how to find a Lyme doctor near you. Thanks for asking, Nisha.

22. Frank R Says:

Had a few insect bites over a year ago; they did not have a bulls eye. Since then I have many if not all the symptoms. I have had 1 test done it came back negative but no medicine has helped. My life has changed due to this I have aches and pains all the time which I have never had before I feel sick most of the time and I used to be very active. Please if you can give me a name of a Lyme Disease doctor in my area. I live about 120 miles from Birmingham, Al. Thanks, Frank

23. Wendy Says:

I would love information for a lyme dr in the St. Louis, MO area. My husband was told at urgent care last night that he may have the disease and they started him on antibiotics but I would like to send him to see someone more familiar with the disease. Thank you!

• Pam Dodd Says:

Mo Lyme info is on its way, Wendy. Good idea. Most ERs and urgent care facilities usually don’t prescribe enough antibiotics to get rid off Lyme. Thanks for asking.

• Paula Says:

I also live in the St. Louis area. In July I was on a wooded property in Johnson County, covered with clothing from top of head to tip of toes, but still removed over 20 teeny tiny ticks. I felt i had dodged a bullet and proceeded to entertain family throughout the month of July. I did notice a red bump on my thigh that was surrounded by bruised tissue and and tiny red dots. I also had been attacked by a mosquito in our back yard, so I assumed I had scratched it in my sleep, causing the bruising etc. I ignored it and bid my famly farewell the end of July. By Aug 6th, I was running a fever throughout the day, thinking I had a virus, I dosed myself with Advil, the fever would break and I would be fine for 3-4 hours til the fever returned and I would repeat the dose. This went on until I travelled to my daughters’ in northern Illinois. I spiked a fever of 104. I ended up in the Monroe Wisconsin, Monroe Clinic and Hospital.

Fortunately for me, WI is one of the states with the most Lyme Disease diagnoses each year so the ER doctors ordered tests immediately, but also continued to rule out other issues while waiting for results which resulted positive. After a month of antibiotics, which after two weeks I began to feel normal again, I felt I again had dodged a bullet

BUT Now i have been off the antibiotics for 2 weeks, pain is returning, fatique around 3-4pm, mood swings, etc.

I also am looking for someone in the St. Louis area that really knows how the treat Lyme and also advise me on what to expect as residual side affects.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Mo Lyme info is on its way, Paula. It’s discouraging when a month of antibiotics doesn’t get rid of Lyme, but such is the case for most people. Thanks for asking.

24. Twila Says:

I stumbled onto this site tonight looking for information about Lymes. My daughter suggested that I get tested. My symptoms are alot of fatigue, very achy, stiffness, headaches, heart palpitations, brain fog. Last week was a very bad week for me. I haven’t gone to the doctor, because I know these symptoms could be a myriad of things and I’ve had blood work but nothing ever shows up. I’m assuming I should go to a specialist to get tested. We live in central PA. and I was wondering if you could recommend one. Thank you.

• Pam Dodd Says:

Twila, I’m sending you PA Lyme information shortly. Thanks for asking.

• Judy W Says:

Hi, I have been having muscle spasms and cramping in both legs and feet for over 7 weeks now. I have inflamation in my knees and ankles swelling alot. I also had my thumb lock and had numbness in my last 3 fingers. I finally got my neurologist to order this test and it was positve. She stated that I have come in contact with lymes at some point. Are these symptoms in the latter stage? I would like to see a lymes specialist in Pittsburgh, Pa or surrounding area. Is there a list of treating physicians you could send? Thank you

• Pam Dodd Says:

Your symptoms are typical for late stage Lyme, Judy. But that doesn’t mean you’ve had it for years. Two months or more without diagnosis ans treatment is enough to get it growing. I’m sending you PA Lyme info. Thanks for asking.

25. Kim Says:

I have many symptoms of long term or late stage lymes dusease.
    do you have information on a Dr in Greevnille NC or Raleigh NC?
    Thanks So much.